Sincerest apologies for the two-month absence of the This Month in History section.
LET US LOOK AT THE EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN THE MONTHS OF SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER & NOVEMBER
1946 - The longest serving Director of SJI, Rev. Bro. Cornelius Nulty leaves after a 16-year tenure at the helm of the school. Brother Cornelius materialized the construction of the Hall, an idea first mooted by Rev. Bro. Gilbert. He was also responsible for the construction of the East Wing (now the St. John International School). Brother Cornelius was also successful in keeping SJI running during the Japanese occupation.
1962 - Due to deteriorating health, Rev. Bro. Director Ignatius returns to Ireland. His place was taken by Rev. Bro. Joseph McNally, Sub-Director.
1960 - The new Primary School building was officially opened by Rev. Bro. Fintan Visitor, Provincial Superior of the La Salle Brothers. SJI Primary was the largest English Primary School in Malaya then.
Excerpts from the 1960 Term 3 Term Review
1955 - SJI welcomes Rev. Bro. Lawrence O'Toole, Assistant Superior General of the Christian Brothers.
1958 - Major A.J.A. Petrus resigns as Officer-in-Command of the SJI Cadet Corps. He is replaced by Captain A.I. Howe.
1968 - The official closing of the St. John's Institution Development Fund by Y. Bhg Tun Dr. Ismail Abdul Rahman.
The programme booklet from 1968
1954 - His Excellency Sir Donald MacGillivray, the High Commissioner to Malaya visits SJI. He is accompanied by Mr. K.D. Luke, the Selangor Chief Education Officer
From the 1954 Term 3 Term Review
1960 - The school chapel was officially opened and used.
1916 - Rev. Bro. Claude Marie is appointed Director of SJI. He was at the helm of SJI for almost 5 years before his transfer to St. Francis Institution, Malacca.
1906 - The foundation stone of the Main Block was laid by His Excellency Sir Conway Belfield, Resident Councillor of Selangor.
1977 - The Scouts Den was officiated by Datuk Hj Mohammed Yaakob, Minister of Public Enteprise
From the 1979 75th Anniversary Souvenir Album