Sunday, May 15, 2016

HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY 2016 FROM US AT stjohninstitution.blogspot.com

Ladies and gentlemen,

On Monday, May 16, we will be observing a day in which we express our sincerest gratitude and appreciation to a group of amazing people who made most of us who we are.

On this auspicious occasion, we would like to wish all teachers, past and present a Happy Teacher's Day. Thank you for your guidance and support in our quest to success and finding ourselves. May God bless all of you for your noble actions.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." - John F. Kennedy

Saturday, May 14, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - MAY

In this edition, we will look at the events that took place in St. John's during the month of May:

May 1
1956 - Formation of the S.J.M.A.C

May 2
1984 - "The Pledge to St. John's", a song written by Mr. Dennis Doss in conjunction of the 80th anniversary, was introduced to Johannians. 

May 17
1955 - Rev. Bro. D'Joseph, Director since May 1948 was transferred to St. Xavier's Institution, Penang. His successor was Rev. Bro. Tibertius Lawrence Spitzig.

Front Page of 1955 Term Review Term 2

May 20
1964 - HRH The Sultan and Tengku Ampuan of Selangor attended the staging of "Bamboo Princess" at KL Town Hall in conjunction of the Diamond Jubilee year. Also present was Tun Dr. Ismail, Home Minister and Chairman of the Developmnt Committee.

May 23
1964 - HRH The Sultan and and Tengku Ampuan of Selangor attended the Jubilee Sports held at the school field. 

May 24
1954 - The St. John's Dramatic Society presents William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" for seven consecutive nights in the school hall.


Reviews on "Macbeth" from the Term Review

1956 - Visit of Mr. Edward Payne, Director of Education in conjunction of Commonwealth Day.


May 30
1964 - During the Old Boys Dinner, Rev. Bro. Joseph McNally, Director of SJI announced that the Director house will be renamed D'Joseph house in honour of former Director Rev. Bro. Joseph Brophy.



Transcript of Rev. Bro. Joseph McNally's speech during the Old Boys Dinner

Saturday, April 16, 2016

THE ORIGIN OF THE SCHOOL MAGAZINE - 1953 TERM REVIEW

In 1953, Rev. Bro. Celestine introduced a tabloid that reports happenings in the school and select works from Johannians. The name of this tabloid - Term Review.

It ran as a series of three papers per annum until 1963 when it was merged into a magazine. The Term Review then became Term Review/Garudamas before it was renamed as Garudamas in 1966.

In case you're wondering, the volume count of the present day Garudamas started when the Term Review became a magazine in 1963.

The Term Review made its debut on April 15, 1953. Today, we proudly present a copy of the Term Review Volume 1 Number 1 for your viewing pleasure.











Sunday, April 10, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - APRIL

Events that took place in St. John's in the month of April.

1921 - Rev. Bro. Director Claude Marie was transferred to St. Francis Institution, Malacca after five years of service in St. John's.

April 3
1969 - A United Nations Mock Assembly was held jointly with Convent Bukit Nanas.

April 15
1953 - The first edition of the Term Review was made available.

April 28
1959 - Rev. Bro. Celestine Jennings was appointed Director in the absence of Rev. Bro. Lawrence Spitzig. He is to remain Director until his transfer in December to St. Paul's Institution, Seremban.

April 29
1970 - Minister of Health, Tan Sri Sardon Jubir was guest-of-honour for Speech and Prize Giving Day. 

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - MARCH

List of notable events in St. John's for the month of March:

March 1
1954 - Lady Templer visits SJI to meet Tan Beng Hoe, a Johannian who offered his collection of paintings to the Lady Templer T.B. Home Fund.

March 5
1958 - Famous African-American baritone singer, William Warfield, performs in the school hall

That's a splendid grand piano we had in the hall, isn't it?

1984 - The 'Job-a-Long' was held to raise funds for the Development Committee

March 7
1987 - The SJI Heritage Night Dinner was held at Dewan Merdeka, PWTC, attended by a crowd of 1 000 old boys, present boys, teachers and well wishes. The master-of-ceremony was Mr. Bosco de Cruz, former teacher and well known newscaster.

March 31
1997 - The SmartLab was officiated by Education Minister, Dato Seri Najib Tun Razak. St. John's was the first school to have a computer lab in the country.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - FEBRUARY

Notable events that took place throughout the month of February:

February 4
1960 - Minister of Education, Abdul Rahman bin Talib, visited St. John's. He was invited to be the judge and award presenter of the Poster Competition

February 5
1983 - St. John's bade farewell to Rev. Bro. Director Tibertius Lawrence Spitzig. Bro. Lawrence, dubbed "The Good Shepherd of St. John's", was the only Brother who had the honour of helming St. John's twice. The administration of St. John's was then passed to Rev. Bro. Cassian Pappu.

February 10
1992 - 21 Japanese girls from Kagoshima Immaculate Heart Convent arrive in SJI, accompanied by their teachers and principal.

February 14
1953 - First day of the School Funfair. Proceeds of the funfair will go towards the field extension project. The funfair was held for two consecutive days.

February 15
1954 - The extension of the school field commences. To meet the growing need of a school field as St. John's expanded, Bro. Dositheus Joseph Brophy during his directorship undertook the task first started by Rev. Bro. Louis in 1929.

Front page of the 1st Volume of the 1954 Term Review

February 22
1994 - Rev. Bro. Superior General John Johnston visits from Rome, Italy. Bro. Superior-General addressed the morning assembly.

February 25
1987 - SJI's canteen was voted "The Cleanest Canteen in Kuala Lumpur". 

February 26
1954 - The "Biological Society" was formed, under the leadership of Rev. Bro. Patrick and Mr. P. V. James


Saturday, January 23, 2016

REV. BRO. JOSEPH YEOH - A BIOGRAPHY BY DATUK REV. BRO. VINCENT CORKERY


IN MEMORIAM OF 

REV. BRO. JOSEPH YEOH
DIRECTOR OF ST. JOHN'S INSTITUTION KUALA LUMPUR
1969 - 1978

WHO PASSED AWAY PEACEFULLY ON 
JANUARY 27, 1982


THE FOLLOWING IS A BIOGRAPHY OF REV. BRO. JOSEPH YEOH, OR FONDLY KNOWN AS 'OLD JOE', WRITTEN BY DATUK REV. BRO. VINCENT CORKERY.


MAY THIS SERVE TO BE A MEMORY OF REV. BRO. JOSEPH YEOH TO JOHANNIANS UNDER HIS ADMINISTRATION AS WELL AS AN INSPIRATION TO PRESENT AND FUTURE JOHANNIANS



MANY THANKS TO MR. LIM HEAN HWA FOR PROVIDING THIS DIGITAL COPY OF BRO. JOSEPH'S BIOGRAPHY
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...